Celebrating 15 Years of Innovation in Science & Technology
January 17–20, 2020
Open Daily: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Orlando Science Center
2020 International SeaPerch Challenge
Dates: May 29 – 31, 2020
Location: University of Maryland, Eppley Recreation Center, 4128 Valley Drive College Park, MD 20742
2020 FAU SeaPerch Regional Qualifier Competition
Boca Raton, FL
2020 Greater Tampa Bay SeaPerch Regional
2020 SeaPerch Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach, FL
The Florida Engineering Education Conference (FEEC) has been hosted by the College of Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of Central Florida since it began in 2006. An event that has been described as unique in the state of Florida, the FEEC strives to bridge the engineering workforce and the academic sector through a series of workshops, hands-on activities, and networking sessions. In 2014, the topic was broadened beyond the typical engineering disciplines to address a more comprehensive STEM agenda.
The Center for Initiatives in STEM, in conjunction with our industry partners, is planning to host the 2020 FEEC at the UCF Student Union on March 6, 2020.
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS’ MODELING & SIMULATION (M&S) PROJECTS TO BE SHOWCASED AT TEAM ORLANDO M&S STUDENT DAY
Team Orlando, with National Center for Simulation (NCS) support, will be conducting a Student Day on February 19, 2020. This will be the second such offering, following last year’s very successful event.
Student Day features high school and technical school students demonstrating Modeling and Simulation (M&S) projects that are of interest to and potentially of value to industry, academia and government. Demonstrations will take place on 19 February 2020, 9:00am-2:00pm, in the Central Florida Research Park, Partnership III Building, Conference Rooms 321A & B. There is no cost to attend or for students to demonstrate at this special event.
High schools throughout Florida have been invited to participate. As background information, there are over 8,000 Florida students taking courses in M&S to include gaming, animation and visualization. Students enrolled in M&S programs throughout the state understand and use the same software building blocks used by the simulation industry (Maya, Inventor, Unity, Blender, Unreal, etc.). This experience, coupled with the M&S Certification, gives students the skill set necessary to qualify for internships and entry level positions within the industry.
Projects to be demonstrated are integral to the coursework consistent with the State of Florida Department of Education M&S or related curriculum. Schools will send teams of up to 6 students who worked on the project during the school year. They will compete for prizes to be awarded to the schools (and students) to support M&S curricula. Student Day attendees from various organizations will vote on the merits of the projects, leading to awards.
The Team Orlando M&S Student Day gives members of government, academia and industry an opportunity to witness the capabilities of today’s student, recognize the initiatives in place to develop the future workforce, and it provides a forum for student teams to display and present the results of their hard work. Student presentation skills will be “sharpened” for this event. The NCS Board of Directors and President/CEO George Cheros strongly support this event.
The announcement for this event, sent to the school districts, advises students and school administrators to contact their school district for more information and/or visit this NCS website: ww.simulationinformation.com
Robotic Mining Competition (RMC)
RMC: Lunabotics 2020
This competition is a full-on engineering exercise where students receive practical experience in the full engineering lifecycle process from concept development to system closeout.
May 18-22, 2020
Astronauts Memorial Foundation
Center for Space Education
Kennedy Space Center, Florida
The US Army Central Florida Engineering Internship
Apply For The Internship
Due Date is 1 May
The US Army Central Florida Engineering Internship is intended to be a practical approach for mentoring high school students in developing and incorporating processes needed for successful project development. The conceptual tool-sets that are presented:
- Technical Evaluation
- Program Management
- Individual Development
After completing the building of the Sea Perch (our submersible ROV), students will use their experience and ingenuity to create a beneficial modification through the standard design process. The project will include the development of a CAD project for an enhancement to the base design of the Sea Perch. This new design enhancement will then be prototyped using the MakerBot. The students will complete the project by implementing and testing their new designs.
This project will facilitate the “Concept to Implementation” experience for the engineering interns.
US Army PEO STRI – STEM Coordinator
Upcoming STEM Events Include:
- Orange County Public Schools Outreach
- OCPS Additions https://www.foundationforocps.org/
- Contact Mentor @ JHS & other OCPS -OCPS Additions https://www.foundationforocps.org/
- Orange County Internships
- Pat Breeding email@example.com
- Summer 2020
- Seminole County Public Schools Outreach,SCPS Dividends
- East Orlando 32828
- Dave Schmitt, P.E.
FIRST – Space Coast League
FIRST – Telsa League
CFL County Science Fairs
- Saturday, February 1, 2020, at the Seminole Towne Center Mall.
Seminole County Public Schools
- Sumter & Marion
- Thursday, February 13, 2020, Trinity Preparatory School,
- Brevard https://fl02201431.schoolwires.net/cms/lib/FL02201431/Centricity/ModuleInstance/20684/Northern%20Division%20Art%20and%20Science%20Fair%20Handbook.pdf
- Northern Brevard https://fl02201431.schoolwires.net/cms/lib/FL02201431/Centricity/ModuleInstance/20684/Northern%20Division%20Art%20and%20Science%20Fair%20Handbook.pdf
- Southern State
- Science Fair Wednesday, March 25, 2020
Odyssey of the Mind Magic Center Region
- Anna Long, Esq ALong@deanmead.com
- Judges Training Saturday, February 8, 2020 Toho HS Anna Long, Esq ALong@deanmead.com
- Regional Tournament- Saturday, February 22, 2020 Toho HSAnna Long, Esq ALong@deanmead.com
- State Tournament-Saturday, April 11, 2020 OCCC South Concourse Anna Long, Esq ALong@deanmead.com
SECME Regional Competition
- Saturday, February 15, 2020 @UCF
- Engineer Juan Jgonzalez@drmp.com CFL STREAMer Chair
- Renee Johnston Renee.Johnston@ucf.edu , UCF K-12 Coordinator
Florida Science Olympiad
- Contact Valerie Ledford. http://www.floridascienceolympiad.org/contact.html
- Central Regional at Ocoee High School, Orlando-February 15, 2020
- Eastern Regional at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona-February 15, 2020
- North Regional at University of Florida, Gainesville-January 18, 2020
- April 11, 2020– Elementary Science Olympiad at UCF in Orlando
- April 18, 2020– Elementary Science Olympiad at Moss Park Elementary in Orlando
- May 2, 2020– Elementary State Tournament at UCF in Orlando
- February 16-22, 2020
- Lecture at UCF
- Central Florida Regional Tournament- Saturday, February 29, 2020
- Ben Pernezny, PE, FES firstname.lastname@example.org
- Forest,Amber Gartner, PE, FES Amber.Gartner@kimley-horn.com
- State Competition https://www.fleng.org/page/MATHCOUNTS
- Friday, March 20, 2020 at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville